What to Eat
- Meat- enjoy a wide variety of meats and fish and make sure to include it in every meal.
- Vegetables- green leafy veggies are the best, but be open to trying a variety.
- Fruit- limit to one serving per day if weight loss is the goal. Berries are the best choice. Frozen is ok, if they are unsweetened. No juice or dried fruit.
- Nuts/Seeds- no peanuts or peanut butter. try raw or dry roasted and preferable unsalted. limit to one serving per day if weight loss is the goal
- Cooking Fats- olive oil and nut oils. Limit amount if weight loss is the goal.
What to Avoid
- Processed Foods- if it comes in a bag or a box and has more than 4 ingredients you probably shouldnt be eating it. This includes anything with added sugar such as ketchup, protein bars, salad dressing ect.
- Grains- no wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, sprouted grains and corn products such as corn oil and corn syrup
- Legumes lentils, peanuts, soy (soy sauce and tofu)
- White potatoes
- Dairy- no milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, ect.
- Real or artificial sweetener no maple, honey, agave, splenda, equal, nutrasweet, stevia, ect.
- Try to avoid “Paleo” junk food- paleo pizza, paleo muffins and cookies, paleo pancakes, ect. Most of these are made from tons of fats!
Clean out your fridge- first things first….get rid of all that processed unhealthy food. You may have cravings when you first switch to your healthier lifestyle and it will be easier if that stuff isn’t around.
Be prepared and Plan- plan out your meals and know what you are getting at the grocery store before you go. It is smart to make double batches of somethings to have leftovers for lunch. Make sure you have snacks ready if have to grab food on the run. Safe things to have when your out and about….rotisserie chicken and salad from your local grocery store or a healthy salad from subway or chipotle.
Go shopping stock up so there is plenty of food available in the house. With a variety of things available you can throw together a healthy meal in a pinch.
Make sure every meal consists of Protein, Fats and Carbs
Feeling Weak- Eat more protein
Energy Low – tried adding a few more carbs
Feeling foggy or forgetful try eating more fats
If you are trying to lose weight remember to limit your intake on fats, hyper glycemic carbs(sweet potatoes, carrots) and tropical fruits(banana, mango, pineapple)